I tried peas and green beans. First mistake I think was using my food processor. It didn't make the food smooth enough. Second mistake were the type of veggies. Both peas and green beans have a bit of skin on the outside which I think I should have tried to run through a strainer.....but I digress.
I felt a little bit of defeat, but I tried again with another veggie.
Carrots. So I cheated and bought a bag of baby carrots (honestly that is the only type of carrots I buy!). Here are the main things you need......carrots (like I needed to say that), olive oil, blender and a pan to bake them in. Oh and you will need a liquid to add into the blender. I am using breast milk, but you can use cow's milk or water.
Caveat: You need to be sure that your baby is over 6 months before using carrots. There are nitrates in carrots that can cause nitrate poisoning. (To learn more visit the American Academy of Pediatrics website.)
(My college English professor would be so proud of me using caveat in my daily language!!)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Then grease the 8X8 pan with olive oil. I am sure that Rachel Ray would say use EVOO, but you know what Rachel Ray? I bought regular olive oil so this is just gonna have to do! Then I washed and cut up the baby carrots to make them cook faster.
Bake them for 45 minutes. Go clean a cabinet or a bathroom or do a load of laundry. When you come back, they should be nice and soft.
Then add them to your blender. I set my blender to the "liquefy" setting.
I added milk to the carrots as I blended until they were a very soupy consistency and looked something like this....
And this.....
I took one serving and dished it up for the bubs......she loved it.......finally!!!
And froze the rest for later.
One quick tip on getting the carrots out of the ice cube tray is to soak the bottom of the tray in a little bit of warm water. Then you should be able to pop the cubes of carrots right out of the tray. Just don't leave it soaking while you go change a diaper, because when you come back the baby food will be completely thawed!!! Yep I did that!! :-)
Be sure to use the carrots within three months!! Good luck!!
1 comment:
I'm reading. I check in every month or so because I know you don't update often. :)
Post a Comment